Wednesday 1 August 2012

Holding the Pork down..





Well... Charmaine has gone out camping! Yeah... I know...?! Camping! With students so it's a good cause! So I'm holding the fort down with the dog or as the title says holding the pork down. Anyone would think that all I cook is pork, but that's not true. I cooked this little number on the weekend and not to boast but it was pretty damn gooooood. Pork belly seems to be the newish big thing, I put it in the same category as Aoli - everyone is putting it on their menu and giving it their own slant. I cooked Audra from Masterchef's little ditty - Braised Pork Belly with Hokkien noodles and a boiled egg. The recipe can be found at
http://www.masterchef.com.au/recipes/braised-pork-belly-soft-boiled-egg-and-handmade-noodles.htm
 Couple of notes - I was sceptical about not crisping up the crackling because let's just face it, crackling is the business and pork belly just rocks the most crackling, I tried to plead with Charmaine to allow me to give the crackling the once over with duck fat and crisp-en it up,  but we agreed to cook it as the recipe says. To my amazement it was the correct decision! It really was nice. Check out the juice just ooooozing out of the succulent pork belly! :)
- Why make your own noodles? Just invest some of your hard earned currency and purchase some fresh hokkiens from the supermarket, they will do the trick.
- I added some of our home grown Pak Choy to the dish to get my vegetable fix and it added a nice little touch.

All in all a great little recipe,  that is not too complicated and will impress your friends! Peace out, Foxy!

No comments:

Post a Comment